Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Summer Fun, 4th of July & lots of Pics!!!

As usual, we've managed to stay busy. Busy enough that I really cannot believe that it is already July!! Only a few short weeks and it's back to school for all of us! Here's what's been going on w/us the last few weeks:

The kids enjoyed spending at week at Vacation Bible School at our church (Asbury Methodist). It was a fun and exciting week for them and for me! I was a volunteer in a 4-year old classroom which for me was a lot of fun! Jacob was excited to hang out w/some friends in his "group" during the week and Kade & Mckynlee loved all of the activities in the Preschool Program, especially the singing and crafts. We look forward to VBS every year!!
We were also able to wrap up the boys' baseball seasons w/their team parties.

Jacob received a "Pirates" banner w/his name & number.

Kade was proud of the baseball cookie that he got at his party!

The boys took a short trip to Branson w/Grandma & Grandpa. While the boys were away being spoiled, Mike and I were able to have some one-on-one time w/our baby girl. We had so much fun hanging out and doing "girly"things together! We painted nails, played dolls, colored, ate ice cream and popcicles and watched a ton of Barney movies! Woo Hoo! At first Mckynlee missed her brothers (it's amazing the bond that all 3 kids have...they really do love each other!!) and kept asking when they were coming home, but after she realized she was getting ALL of the attention, she didn't seem to mind the boys being away! She knew they were w/Grandma & Grandpa and that she would get her turn to hang out w/Gma & Gpa when they got back with the boys. The first day she realized they were gone, I found her sitting by herself on a step stool. When I asked her what she was doing, she replied, "I'm just going to sit her and wait on Grandma & Grandpa to come back and take me with them!" Smart girl!


Mckynlee enjoying some "pink" ice cream at the Jenks Riverwalk.

Since the boys weren't with us, Mckynlee and I were able to attend the Toddler Time Storytime at the local library. She loved everything about it...the stories, the songs, the other kids in the room! She didn't want us to leave!!


As promised, when the boys returned w/Grandma & Grandpa from their trip, it was Mckynlee's turn to be "spoiled" for a week. Mckynlee left for a week at my parents' house and the boys stayed home w/us. It was just as fun to spend time with only my handsome boys! We slept in, stayed up late watching the Rangers play baseball, ate (lots) of rainbow snowcones, enjoyed time at the zoo w/friends, bowling, and hanging out at the library.


Jacob getting ready to bowl!
He is so super competitive. (Imagine that!!) He spent most of his time watching the electronic scoreboard worried that he wasn't going to beat Daddy! I had to explain to him that Daddy had a lot more experience bowling than him and that it didn't matter who won or lost, that we were there to learn and have fun. All Jacob heard were the words "won" & "lost"! Oh well, I think he had fun anyway!

Kade had to use his "muscles" to pick up the ball. It was bigger than his head!
To the contrary of Jacob, Kade had a wonderful time! He love every minute of it and didn't care if he hit a single pin! It was priceless to watch him bowl! He would run as fast as he could, nearly toppling over due to the weight of the ball and then "drop" the ball on the lane. It seemed to take days for the ball to make it to the pins, but Kade watch intently the entire time and then as soon as the ball disappeared out of sight he would jump up and down as if he'd just gotten a strike!
Both boys were confused about getting a strike! We had to keep explaining to my baseball players that a strike in bowling is a good thing! I don't think they got it!


We've been taking advantage of the Summer Reading Program at the library. The kids LOVE going to the library and picking out new books to read each week and I LOVE the idea that they are so excited about reading!!

We've also been enjoying the FREE summer movies at the Riverwalk!


We took our annual Tulsa Zoo trip with our friends. (minus Mckynlee...she was still at Grandma & Grandpa's) All of our kids have grown up together...literally! They have all been together since the day they were born. It's been fun to watch them all grow together. They started out as friends because their parents are all friends, but they've truly developed a friendship on their own now. They're more like brothers (w/a little sister)!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AND THAT BRINGS US TO THE 4TH OF JULY!!!
Our "new" tradition the last couple of years has been to go to my parents' house for the holiday and spend time with family. My mom plans a huge cookout. We eat, swim, play baseball, watch the kids play and shoot fireworks in my parents' driveway, just as we did when I was growing up. We had lots of fun and shot off our last firework as it began to downpour w/rain!

The Cousins: Drew, Kade, Jacob & Mckynlee



Mckynlee trying out the new swingset!


The boys coolin' off in the pool!

--------------------------------------------------------------------


My dad "built" this baseball field for the boys! As you can imagine, any free time at all is spent outside on the field. There's always a baseball game going on. The field is complete w/real bases, chalked baselines, an outfield fence & a pitcher's mound w/ a pitching rubber. Jacob & Kade completed the ensemble by buying Grandpa a rosin bag (you know, the thing the pitchers bounce off their hand during a game - Jacob's definiton) for Father's Day! A little boy's dream! I do have to admit I'm a tiny bit jealous that I didn't have a softball field like this growing up, but I'm so glad the boys (and eventually Mckynlee) have such an awesome field to play on! Any trip to my parents' house is not complete until a game has been played on the field. And yes, the boys bring their entire baseball gear...cleats, gloves, hats, bats, batting gloves, baseball pants and socks! Bryant Field brings a new meaning to "If you build it, they will come!!!"


BRYANT FIELD



"And pitching for the Rangers...#5...Jacob Simpson!!!"


"Now batting for the Pirates...#3...Kade Simpson!!!"


"And pinch hitting for Grandpa Bryant....The Slugger...Mckynlee Simpson!!!"

3 comments:

Jen Braden said...

Very cute blog! You have a precious family!! Looks like you have been very busy having fun this Summer! I went to Asbury as a child and teenager. Dick Read was my High School youth paster. Asbury has always been a great church!! Are you coming to the DZ get together this weekend? I'm excited to see everyone!! I have a blog www.bradenfam.blogspot.com. Check it out when you get a chance.

DZ Love,
Jen Smith Braden

Jen Braden said...

I also added you to my blog roll. I'm sad I won't see you but I'm sure there will be more get togethers. Have a wonderful trip! Can't wait to read all about it on your blog!

Amy said...

HeyJenn! Bryant Field is awesome!! Tara and I are jealous and want to come to ya'lls 4th of July from now on!! Your kids are soo freaking cute! I miss you! Let me know next time yall are in town, and maybe we can plan to meet!!
Love-
Amy